St George’s Barracks was established on the site of the former RAF North Luffenham airfield, in 1998. Originally built as a training airfield opening in 1940, it later became a heavy bomber base during WW2. In 1951, the station was transferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force, before returning to RAF control in 1959. Between 1959 and 1963, North Luffenham was the base for PGM-17 Thor missiles, which is now a Grade II listed part of the site. The RAF continued with various uses of the site until 1998 when it was taken over by the British Army and renamed St George’s Barracks. It then became the home of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers in 1999, of the King’s Own Royal Border Regiment in 2003 and of the 16th Regiment Royal Artillery in 2007. In April 2013 16th Regiment Royal Artillery received the Freedom of Oakham on behalf of the barracks. In July 2014, 16th Regiment Royal Artillery moved to Baker Barracks, Thorney Island.
There are approximately 200 service families accommodation (SFA) units located at St George’s Barracks, comprising two, three and four bedroom properties. All SFA are located outside the wire, in close proximity to the barracks. Chiltern Drive, Pennine Drive and Mendip Road are adjacent to the northern edge of the barracks. Severn Crescent and Welland Road are approximately quarter of a mile away. The Manton Road Estate is made up of Ullswater Avenue, Weston Road, Derwent Road and Windermere Road, and is located approximately half a mile from the barracks.
In November 2016, the Government announced through ‘A Better Defence Estate’, a commitment to invest in a better built military estate that will reduce in size by thirty per cent by 2040. The Ministry of Defence (MOD) is required to maximise value through the disposal of sites and has a target to provide land for 55,000 dwellings this Parliament. Within the November announcement it was confirmed that St George’s Barracks would be surplus to operational requirements and programmed for disposal in 2020.